Sunday, November 21, 2010

bahn mi chay me

I work near a great Vietnamese restaurant called Pho Cyclo Cafe.  It gets really packed at lunch so take out is a great option.

My take out staple is the bahn mi chay sandwich:


The bahn mi chay is stuffed with marinated tofu, pickled carrots and daikon, cucumbers, cilantro and sliced jalapenos.  This satisfying sandwich is served on a fresh baguette for only $3.25- it's a screaming deal (take out only).  The only downfall is the soft doughy baguette with the crispy crust tears up the roof of my mouth like nobody's business.  Not that it stops me for eating them, but still.

When I dine in, my other favorite is the #31 with rice noodles, otherwise known as Bun Com Tofu.  Can you tell I love the tofu here?  It's so flavorful- tofu and onions marinated in lemongrass, soy, chilies, served over a bowl of rice noodles, herbs, lettuce, bean sprouts, carrots, cucumbers and peanuts with a bright vinaigrette.  I tend to not order this as take out as it's packaged somewhat deconstructed and doesn't taste the same.  And I can't stand the "to go" chopsticks here- guaranteed slivers- ugh!

ciao chow

No comments:

Post a Comment